If you’re among the many who have gotten or are considering getting Invisalign to fix their bite alignment issues, you may be feeling daunted regarding the maintenance steps you’d need to take. However, as long as you have a trusted professional specializing in dentistry in Rochester Hills, MI, you don’t need to worry too much.
David M. Juliani, DDS is here to help you care better for your Invisalign aligners by listing a few do’s and don’ts.
To get the most out of what you invested in this particular cosmetic dentistry treatment, you must follow your dentist’s instructions to the letter. Failure to do so will compromise your desired results, which is money down the drain. The basic guidelines we give our patients are:
- Wear the aligners for at least 22 hours a day and only remove them when brushing your teeth and during meals. Consult your dentist if you regularly engage in activities such as hitting the gym or dancing and you need to remove the aligners during games and performances.
- Next, do remember to remove your Invisalign aligners when eating, as the plastic material was not designed to withstand excessive force associated with chewing food.
- Always brush your teeth after eating and before putting your Invisalign aligners back on.
- If you develop teeth problems during treatment, come to our dental clinic immediately. With CEREC technology, we can fix dental issues without interfering with the alignment process set out by Invisalign.
- Invisalign aligners do not operate on the same principle as tooth whitening trays, but you can undergo teeth whitening procedures while in the process of correcting bite issues. However, you must consult with your dentist first regarding your teeth whitening options and whether you are a suitable candidate.
- Avoid sugary, acidic, and hot drinks as they can stain or warp the aligners. Chewing gum, crunchy, sticky, and hard foods are also a no-go zone.
- Don’t get dental implants before Invisalign, as the goal should be to correct the teeth alignment first before going in with a dental implant, since those are permanent and thus won’t respond to alignment treatments.
It’s important to work with a trusted dental clinic to make sure that your Invisalign treatment is going as planned. Contact us today to learn more about Invisalign.